Thursday, April 03, 2008

Leg-End

Well the end may be in sight.
After 16 months of what has at times been quite excruciating pain I finally have a firm diagnosis.

It's taken 16 months 3 GP's, One Urologist, 2 Physiotherapists, X-Rays, Ultrasound scans, and finally a consultation with an orthopaedic registrar. He tells me that I've damaged an adductor muscle where it attaches to my pelvis. It's very very common in cyclists (which I am) and will get better on it's own, but I'm welcome to go back any time and have a steroid injection if I don't feel it's healing fast enough.

The pain's not been that bad recently so I've opted for the time being to see how things go. I've also been told to go swimming as low impact exercise will promote the healing. The thought of me in public in nothing but swim trunks fills me with dread. Add to that the fact that I'm really shite at swimming. I told the doc I'm really uncoordinated, he said he could tell as despite my having very large leg muscles I couldn't push his hands much more than six inches above the examination couch. He was only using his index fingers to push against my shinss and I was straining like billy'o pushing against them. That's a bit crap innit?

I really really don't want to go swimming. But I'm going to have to. Aren't I?

(ooh look, less than a month between posts too!)

12 comments:

bod said...

yes mate, i'm afraid you are.
i'm so glad that at last you have a diagnosis! at least you know now what it is, how to help yourself recover and access to some real pain relief.
go on show us your legs!

Rol said...

Hire a private pool.

Seriously, it must be good to have FINALLY found someone who know what they're talking about. Hope the recovery is a fast one.

Rad said...

Rol: It is good to finally have a firm diagnosis.

Bod: I ain't showing my legs to no fucker :D

30th February said...

At least you know now mate. I'm glad it seems like something you can heal.

I thought he was going to ask if you spent a lot of time in pain, riding, in paid, riding... then tell you it was a vicious cycle.

I'll get me (white)coat.

ps. We await pics of you in your swimming trunk!

bod said...

rad...spoil sport!

danny.....oooh that was bad,you need to get coat, hat and handbag :-D
by the way danny congrats matey!

30th February said...

thanks :)(not that I did much :)

bod said...

obviously just enough mate :-)

Anonymous said...

Radsky, look at me - I could only swim about a length back in August and I do 50 at a time now.

And most of the blokes at the pool wear swim shorts - I hardly ever see any in trunks.

So what are you waiting for?

(Let me know if you need any tips)

BigHatDino said...

Don't wear trunks, wear shorts. I used to panic about it, but Helena talked me down and now I'm fine with wandering around the pool in just shorts (and goggles). I've also managed to teach myself to be a better swimmer too :)

Anonymous said...

Look mate, at some point I've got to start swimming as it's good for big fat pregnant ladies. Not only will I have to reveal my big fat pregnant belly, but also all the other bits that have gotten themselves big and fat in a pregnancy related way. Frankly even Gok Wan would have his work cut out: 'Never mind tankini darling, I think we need a tank...'

But you know what? When you go along, as long as it isn't Saturday morning and full of kids, you'll find that everyone is just busy getting on with swimming. It'll be cool - trust me.

bod said...

she's right you know rad :-)
pregnant ladies are always right!
so c'mon, get those legs out! elsie will show her belly if you show your legs

Annie said...

Aw, so pleased you got a proper diagnosis.

I agree with everyone, board shorts is the way to go:

http://www.rushbox.co.uk/shop/viewitem.php?xno=811&r=SZ

You want to see the Asian ladies in my local pool, they go in fully clothed...