Sunday, December 10, 2006

Constitutionals

(In which our hero (that's Me) attempts to write a blog post without swearing.)
Do people take constitutionals these days? I suppose you have to have somewhere in which to take one really. A local park or forest, or something similar. Believe it or not, even though I live in the sticks there was nowhere to go if you fancied a walk. Unless of course you really really wanted to brave walking along a country lane with idiots racing towards you at 60mph. Why are they doing 60mph on a road barely wide enough to allow two cars to pass each other? Because it's the legal speed limit and by God, they're going to drive to it, it's their right as Englishmen or something! Anyway, I digress... The old hospital site behind my house has been redeveloped into housing. As part of the deal the local council negotiated for new footpaths to be installed by the property developers. This means we can walk into the main part of the village without getting mown down by lunatics. Even better, they're laying a path along my cycle route to work. So that means instead of cycling with the constant apprehension of being hit by some lunatic doing 60mph (it's my right to go that fast dammit!) on a dark winters night, I can do so in relative safety. All I need now is for the new people in charge at work to move my base of operations. No, we won't go there, I'm trying not to swear!

So anyway, yesterday afternoon I took the little fella out for a walk. Well, he sat in his buggy, I walked. It's a fair old trek into the village. Takes about an hour there and back, the intention being that at some point little fella would get some sleep while I would be getting some semblance of exercise. On the walk back the sun was setting and I just had to take a picture cos it was so spectacular. Shame the photo doesn't really do it justice, the way the sunlight was shining through the bare branches of the trees was faboo!


Today in our ever desperate attempts to get the little fella to go to sleep we travelled to Salhouse Broad. It was cold, it was windy. I wasn't in the best of moods. Then I saw this bad boy

Look at that, it's fantastic. You can almost see a face in that trunk. It's Gawain's Green Knight. It's Swamp Thing. It's the Green Man! It's dead freaky deaky.



Almost as freaky from the other side too!
A bit further along we came across another freaky, though less spectacularly gnarled Oak.



When we got to the Broad itself I saw something I'd never ever seen before, check this out.



A black swan! Such a pretty beastie, though it's eyes were as red as Satan's ringpiece and just as disturbing to stare into.

Friendly though.


It was around this point that a couple of inbreds came along with their mad Labrador which proceeded to launch itself into the water at every opportunity. We took this as our opportunity to roll our eyes heavenward and return to the motor. Did I mention that it was so cold there was ice on the ground. Well it was. I was grumpy!

Look at that, a whole post without swearing. Someone buy me a drink! :D

10 comments:

Annie said...

Imposter! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH RAD?

(Nice post...)

Rad said...

Danny, I'm not too fond of swans myself. Me and a mate got hassled by one when we were grasscutting on a river bank. We had to keep tipping the lawnmowers up and pointing the blades at it to keep it away! I can't get over the colour of it's eyes mate. They were so red.

Annie: So what you're saying is that none of my other posts were any good? That's what you're saying right? ;)

I was very tempted to sign off with a 'fucking brilliant' but resisted. :D

bod said...

oh well done rad! and was that creepy hollow? i think so.

Anonymous said...

Great pics!

And I know exactly what you mean about the 60mph brigade. On those roads, I stick to a rule of thumb which an advanced motorist friend recommended - travel at a speed where you can stop within the distance of road that you can actually see. If that makes sense.

The problem being the (usually Subaru-driving) nutter driving up your jacksie and wondering why you're *not* going at 60mph, because it's their right, dammit!

Andre Veloux said...

Are you mellowing in your old age and fatherhood?

I hope not.

Rad said...

Andre: I just have a cold. :)

Andre Veloux said...

Why don't you do stand up Rad? You'd be great!

Rad said...

I'd make a great target! :D

Anonymous said...

oh bugger. i was going to say that! ;)

Anxious said...

Oh, that "anonymous" comment was me. Not sure why it came out as anon...