Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Tell me I'm wrong

See now, I'm not sure what protesters are hoping to achieve when they're protesting against someones right to free speech.

Griffin and Irving are foul contemptible people but in this country we do have a right to express ourselves regardless of political viewpoint. I'd have liked to have seen the ideologies and opinions of both of these men verbally slapped down and put in their place via debate.

Instead the protesters, no matter how well intentioned are actually veering dangerously close to fascism themselves by trying to deny these idiots their right to speak.

Tell me I'm wrong.

7 comments:

Annie said...

I KNOW!!!

I was thinking about posting on this, but there, you've said it so much better.

'I defend to the death your right to say it - but only if I agree with it' was not what that French bloke said now, was it? Unless it is outright incitement to violence, they should have the right to speak - and I would quite happily go along and listen to them make arses of themselves if I was in Oxford.

Rad said...

Phew!
I'm glad it's not just me. :D

Rad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rad said...

I've just realised what that deleted comment is going to look like. :D

I double posted. I'm not censoring anybody. ;)

30th February said...

I don't know whether the Oxford Union Debating Society allow these things to go ahead for pure debate or for headlines. If they balance it out by inviting speakers with other views then I see no problem.

I've seen the likes of Griffin given the spotlight before and end up looking like a suited thug so these events normally backfire on the speaker.

Rad said...

Danny, there were politicians from other party's present too. So I'm sure that any argument these fuckwits presented would be torn to ribbons both by those politicos and the members of the debating society too. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the SWP's (that's not Ian Wright's kid by the way) hand in mobilising the protestors. The far left is so far left it almost completes the circle with the far right.

bod said...

what danny said.