Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bye bye Facebook

It's something I've been on the brink of a few times recently. But tonight I deactivated my facebook account.
Why?
Well, because some of my so-called 'friends' are actually a bit cunty. I know it's ironic me saying that. Seeing as I happily refer to myself as a cunt. And quite often turn up in peoples comments taking the piss. But there's a time and a place for it, and I'd like to think that I can recognise when that time exists and when it doesn't. I'd be mortified if I thought I'd really upset someone with a few off the cuff comments that were intended to be harmless. Which is why I've always looked at the context of what I'm commenting on. Seems like some people just don't have that level of self-awareness. Or maybe I'm just an oversensitive cunt, or an enormous great tart? But there it is, 'gone'.

They don't make it easy for you either. South Park illustrated that brilliantly in the episode 'You have 0 friends' When Stan tries to deactivate his account it kept asking him if he was sure, before digitising him and sucking him into facebook Tron-Stylee. And up to the last part that's exactly what it was like. You have to go through about five levels of verification before the account is deactivated. I don't dare click on a facebook link now. Because it'll immediately reactivate the account. This'll go on for months before the account finally dies a death.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Yes, why give yourself unneccessary aggravation? My sis had similar issues on Facebook but she's too hopelessly addicted.

Bwahaha! soon everyone will abandon FB & Twitter & return to blogs, it's all part of my masterplan...

Rad said...

It's a shame in a way, as I'd got in touch with a lot of my old hometown buddies and now I'm out of touch again. Unfortunately Facebook does make keeping in touch incredibly easy. But I'm still not sure the flipside is worth it.