Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Tomorrow isn't NME day

I'm not particularly a fan of Morrissey, I wasn't that big a fan of the Smiths either. I read last weeks interview with Morrissey and knew right away that the NME was trying to stir up some notoriety for themselves. Anyone who's read the article can see it was a stitch up. Morrissey pines for an England that never was and perhaps foolishly mentions immigration as one of the reasons that England will never exist again. This is what the NME pounced on to demonstrate that old Mozzer's just a big old fascist bastard after all. Cunt!

Excuse me... But BOLLOCKS!

This looks to me like a blatant attempt on the NME's part to boost circulation. Well they fucked up, they fucked up big time. Anyone with half a brain is going to have read that interview and the resulting hyperbole and realised what's going on.

I'm not buying tomorrows NME. I won't be buying it next week or the week after that either. I'm sure they're not at all bothered that a 38 year old man won't be buying what they themselves see as a 'yoof' publication anyway. But I wonder how many more people who've put up with the full page photos where there used to be news articles, with the editorial dumbing down, with the climbing into bed with companies that sponsor their tours. With the emphasis on shit fashion rather than youth culture, will also not be buying NME in future? I suspect it'll be more than just me.

Circulation may blip due to the current controversy, but I think a lot of people who are perhaps picking it up for the first time in a few years will find todays NME a bit of a joke.

Goodbye NME, it was fun for a while, but now you're just shit!
No really, fuck off!

8 comments:

Mark said...

Bring back Smash Hits! Now that was a magazine you could trust.

Rad said...

I loved smash hits. :D

Rol said...

Very disappointed you got through that entire piece without once using the word 'cunt'.

I can't rely on anybody anymore...

30th February said...

I picked up NME a few weeks ago when Thommy was on the cover and read the one or two pages with him but I couldn't read the rest of it. The layout is more like HEAT or whatever the fuck those other gossip mags are called. I think Moz is silly for getting involved in an interview. I think this is a warning to anyone over the age of 25 to avoid being interviewed in NME. Even Q magazine manages to be better than NME and Q is a load of old toss.

Rad said...

Danny: I think I've been buying it out of habit more than anything. There's no substance to it anymore. There used to be articles on the Criminal Justice Bill, Clause 28, Satpal Ram... Now they do Halloween themed issues.

30th February said...

(Hangs head in shame)

I was ready to snub it this week like I normally do...but... but...

thom-thom on the cover
free poster

(whimpers)

I couldn't help it!!!!

Rol said...

Thank you.

bod said...

i haven't read it in a very long time and i was never a big smiths fan either but it's still disappointing to know it's come to this.