Friday, January 16, 2009

Prince of the road

Cycling home Wednesday night through thick fog wasn't much fun. I did get a brief respite when I got shouted at as I sailed past what appeared to be a broken down car with its hazards flashing. It barely registered that it was me being shouted at, so I looked over my shoulder to see a very forlorn looking young lady watching me fade into the distance.

Being a lovely bloke (not wanting to blow my own trumpet, like) I turned back to see if she was ok. Turns out her mate's care had a flat battery, she'd bought some jump leads along but being a girl didn't know how to use them (her words, not mine!) So after a bit of messing about involving getting her mate to roll the broken down car backwards so that we could a) Get the car providing the jumpstart in front of the car requiring the jump, thus enabling the leads to actually reach the respective batteries. And b) Get the car providing the jumpstart out of the fucking road so that other cars could actually get past. Tch! Fucking wimmin eh? *raises eyebrows* :D Job done, cars started, friendly advice imparted on not just driving round the corner and parking up, but taking it for a spin around the city to get some juice back in the battery, and then I'm on my way.

By now the fog had also lifted so I was feeling pretty good about things. Then I get to the 'country' part of my journey. Fuck me! I cannot see a fucking thing. I've got two really good front lights on the bike. One points at the road, the other I use in low visibility so that I can see the side of the road. The one that points straight ahead is useless. All I can see is a cone of light stretching out in front of me, all it's illuminating is fog. Cycling through it is the most bizarre experience, it's like having your senses turned down to 3. Everything's muted, there's no input. It's like moving through a ghost world but there's real terror whenever I'm aware that a car is approaching, either from the front or rear. A really really unpleasant experience. I dunno why I'm even bothering to write all this. It's not very interesting really is it? Ah well, it's written now, and you've got to the end of it and thought to yourself, 'for fuck's sake, is that it?'

Yes, yes that's it!

Choo! :D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I now have a vision of you as some guardian angel of the roads, descending on travellers to lend help and advice. Carry a hip flask and road map as well - you could start charging!

Rad said...

It's a better vision than the reality. I'm sure pedestrians think I've got Tourette's! :D

Annie said...

Aw, you're a gent really. Tsk, they should've offered you a lift...

Rad said...

I wouldn't have been able to fit the bike into either of their cars though.

Anonymous said...

aw, you're a gentleman really :-)
and mate...you HAVE got tourette's haven't you?!