Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Death to fanatics!!!

I just read this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7853325.stm and had to laugh at how religious people can get so twisted by their faith that they wish death and damnation on all who disagree with them. I also find that as I've become older I've become less tolerant of religion in all of its forms.

I used to be of the opinion that if someone chose to worship a particular diety then they should be free to do so. I even used to say that I respect their choice, respect that they have a faith.

I can't honestly say that I feel that way any more.
I see religion as a way of suppressing populaces. To me it's nothing but supernatural mumbo jumbo. A way to explain things that humanity didn't have the knowledge of, or science to analyse, that which we could not immediately explain or understand. I'm also sure that thousands of years ago it was very useful in making people behave in a civilised manner. Be good,or God will get you. High Priest/Priestess as Chief Constable perhaps? In it's worst aspect religion is twisted and used as a means for the powerful within that religion to whip up hatred against those that do not follow the religion. A banner beneath which the faithful and the uneducated can rally and use to justify all sorts of atrocities.

To be blunt religion really fucking offends me. The death and destruction in the name of whatever god just cannot be forgiven. The exploitation, the suppression, the barbarism practiced in the name of whatever deity. It just cannot be forgiven.

Why should I respect people's religion? Do the religious respect my atheism? Of course they don't. How can they, if they truly believe in their particular god?

The sooner we shake off these stupid hangovers from a less enlightened age the happier we'll be as a race. Gah!

6 comments:

A Cheverton said...

Down our way, there's a bus driver who has refused to drive a bus with one of those There's Probably No God banners on the side. Point blank refused.

If I held such deep beliefs, I like to think that I would have the faith to take on and accept - even debate - opposing arguments. Christians are a thin-skinned and hateful bunch at the best of times. Little wonder the Romans fed them to the bloody lions...

Rad said...

I read that and laughed.
Then continued to read in astonishment about how he wasn't going to be disciplined. I bet he works on his Sabbath and doesn't have a problem with that.

moe said...

AMEN TO THAT! .... errrrrr.... :)

Anonymous said...

just so you know mate, i respect your choice :-)

Lipstick 'n' Linguine said...

psst

chimesey said...

Bang on, Rad. Agree with you entirely. Great point about it probably being useful, thousands of years ago...
Same with me, post getting old and that.
First visit round these 'ere parts...